Homeowners have two options for space heating. You can opt for the cozy warmth of a clean-burning gas furnace, or you can choose the convenience of a heat pump. The best solution depends on your goals, the design of your existing HVAC system and the availability of utilities. If you’re investing in a heating replacement for your home on St. Simons Island, here are a few things to consider.
Advantages of Heat Pumps
According to the Industrial Environmental Association, heat pumps are dominating Georgia’s space heating market. Homeowners prefer them for the following reasons.
- These systems are extremely efficient, and they perform well in our coastal climate.
- Air-source heat pumps transfer warmth from your home to the outside, so they use very little energy.
- There’s no need to purchase separate heating and cooling equipment because heat pumps perform both jobs handily.
- They can be used in rural and remote areas where gas service isn’t available.
- Packaged units and split systems simplify heating replacements and installations.
Advantages of Gas Furnaces
Furnaces produce intense and consistent warmth during the harshest winter weather. While furnaces aren’t quite as efficient as heat pumps, their performance has improved substantially over the past few decades. Thanks to variable-flow burners and condensing flues, some high-performance gas furnaces have annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) ratings as high as 98 percent.
If you have a furnace, you’ll need to purchase a separate AC compressor. However, the heating and cooling portions of the system can share an air handler. In general, gas and oil furnaces provide very comfortable, efficient and reliable forced-air heating. Heating installations are especially practical if these utilities are already in place.
Heating Installation Contractors
If you’re still undecided, you can always go with a hybrid heating system that gives you the best of both technologies. You can find more information about replacement heating systems on our website. For personalized recommendations or a free estimate, call The A/C Guys at 912-268-1514.